Apps for Learning, Middle School
Turn your classroom into a digital adventure in learning with the best apps for middle school classrooms, such as Play2Learn, SpellBoard, Solar Walk, Book Creator, and more!
- Grade Level: PreK-12
- ISBN: 9781452243061
- Published By: Corwin
- Year: 2012
- Page Count: 160
- Publication date: October 19, 2012
Turn your classroom into a digital adventure in learning!
In the classroom of the 21st-century, the power of mobility has begun to play a significant role in the learning experiences of our students. The ubiquitous digital devices they use so frequently and unconsciously can be harnessed as powerful tools for learning, creativity, and discovery.
With Apps for Learning, Middle School: 40 Best iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone Apps for Classrooms, Harry Dickens and Andrew Churches continue an exciting journey through the world of educational apps. Learn about some of the best apps for middle school classrooms, such as:
- Creative storytelling apps like Puppet Pals HD
- Powerful language skill builders like Play2Learn and SpellBoard
- NASA HD and Solar Walk, which allow you to take a trip across the galaxy
- Book Creator to make your own unique digital books
- Drawing Pad to produce a work of art
These apps and many more are just waiting for you and your students to discover!
- Separate content area chapters offer content specific apps with detailed classroom application examples that illustrate how teachers can use these apps to teach students academic content
- Detailed descriptions of each app's functions also include carefully selected screen shots that graphically illustrate the functions
- The Apps in the Spotlight feature in every chapter highlights numerous apps for each content area and includes basic information on each, including cost, application type, curriculum area (where applicable), and basic functions and features.
- Many of the selected apps are free or low-cost and have considerable staying power, (e.g., iBooks, iMovie, Google Earth, NASA, Prezi) in order to give teachers a resource that will have an extended shelf life.
- The selected apps can be used with individual students or with class sets of devices.
- An APPS LIST at the end of the book is a handy resource for readers who have interest in particular apps.
Table of Contents
1. Tools for the Basics
2. Tools for Literacy
3. Tools for Social Studies
4. Tools for Mathematics
5. Tools for Science
6. Tools for ESOL
7. Tools for Speaking in Tongues
8. Tools for Sharing and Talking
9. Tools for Creating